30 October 2013

On Deadlines

I'll make this simple.
I don't. Like. Deadlines.

I really don't. I'd rather have a serial killer looming over me than a deadline. At least with the serial killer there's a chance that they'll miss or you won't be their target. With a deadline, it's a sure thing.
You can sometimes use deadlines to motivate people, of course, but I always get the sinking feeling when a deadline draws closer that whatever my assignment is, won't be finished in time.
Nobody else I work with ever seems to share this feeling. "It's fine," they'll say "We've got plenty of time."
Well, no, no we don't. By the time I'm stressing about a deadline, there's next to no time left compared to the scale of the project and the amount of time a day that can be spent on it. But it's no big deal to anyone else, for some reason. I've even had a team member abandon a project on the final day, after assuring everyone else that his work would get done, then not doing it. I ended up having to be the one scrambling to finish it, of course. We did not do well on that particular venture.
But of course, it's fine as long as I'm the one holding the bag, right? Not your problem.

So if you ever work with me, and we have limited time, don't slack off. I prefer to have time to breathe at the end of a project, time to relax or add that one last optional feature. And if you leave me alone to the wolves, you won't like it when I get back.

No comments:

Post a Comment