18 February 2014

Feburary 18, 2013: A retrospect



Last year I committed myself to doing something that terrified me. Something that could have potentially ruined multiple friendships.
Yet something necessary.
A year ago today, I did it, and got the best case scenario.
The day afterwards, I wrote this.


The time has finally come
To bite the bullet and hope it doesn’t explode in my face
Long have I awaited this day
-Too long, long enough
Dreaded it, craved it.
A simple answer is all I seek,
To know which way to turn on the path forward.
Where to plant my feet on my next step.
She leans, waits.
-Perhaps she already knows.
I grow cold as the words spill out, and I know there is no turning back
It is time to face the consequences, whatever they may be.
I know it won’t turn out perfectly for me.
If it could, it would have already.
-But I need this, to erase one last regret.
Better to regret doing it than not
However painful the outcome may be.
She smiles sadly, and answers.
The best I could have hoped for.
Everything risked, but nothing lost.
A few quiet words exchanged afterwards, I say my thanks
Though I can’t remember If they left my head.
The feelings fade, knowing now nothing will come of them.
But she will always be more than just a friend. She will be the friend who gave me what I needed most,
Not because of something she did
but
Simply because of who she was.
Because
On that day, I stopped being a coward.
Stopped hating myself for what I failed to do.
Knew I could do it again.
Because I did, I bit the bullet.
And it didn’t go off.

No comments:

Post a Comment